Imagine waking up one morning and finding that you can’t use your shower or kitchen sink because it’s clogged. A hassle, right? You have to get your plumber’s snake out and start working on that clog so you can (hopefully) get ready for work. But there are stubborn clogs that plumber’s snakes simply cannot dislodge. You need the strongest drain cleaner for stubborn clogs like these.
Drain clog removers are made with chemicals that are powerful enough to dissolve several months’ worth of hair, grease, food debris, and other gunk trapped in your pipes. There are different types of drain clog removers. Let’s take a look at each type and see if they are safe to use at home.
Types of Drain Cleaners
If you’re trying to get rid of a particularly stubborn clog caused by toilet paper, hair, soap scum, grease, and food, then choose an acidic drain cleaner. But keep in mind that this is one of the strongest drain cleaners in the market, and it can only be used in newer homes with plastic and copper pipes.
Because it is made of hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid compounds, it is not safe for use in old plastic pipes, as well as those made of steel and aluminum. Always wear protective gloves, safety glasses, a respirators or mask, and protective clothing when handling acidic drain cleaners.
Caustic drain cleaner is another type of chemical drain clog remover. It contains alkaline compounds that can dissolve grease, food, and other gunk stuck in your drain. However, some caustic cleaners might not work as well in dissolving toilet paper.
Like acidic drain cleaners, caustic drain cleaners can be used in newer plastic, stainless steel, copper, and other metal pipes. Do not use them in pipes that are older than 20 years as the strong chemicals can corrode them.
Caustic drain cleaners live up to their name, so always wear protective clothing, a pair of gloves, a respirator or mask, and a pair of safety glasses when handling them.
If you want a gentler formulation that won’t corrode your pipes and damage your expensive toilet or bathtub, then enzymatic drain cleaners are a perfect choice. These drain cleaners are marketed as “greener” options as they contain bacteria that produce certain enzymes. These enzymes break down food debris, paper, hair, and other organic compounds, making them more environment-friendly compared to chemical drain openers.
Enzymatic drain cleaners should be used once a month to keep your drain clog-free. There’s no need to use personal protective equipment when handling this type of drain cleaner.
- MONEY BACK PROMISE – We value our customers and we stand behind ALL of our products 100% with no questions asked! If you are not pleased simply contact us with your order number and we will reimburse you in FULL!
- EASY TO USE: Fast and powerful single-use pacs. No measuring, no guessing how much to use, no mess! Great for toilet clogs! ALL ORDERS INCLUDE 5 FREE Hair Grabber Tools!
- WORKS GREAT FOR: Bathroom sinks, bathtubs, showers, toilets, kitchen sinks, floor drains, slop sinks, urinals, RV drains & more!
- EFFECTIVE AGAINST: Grease, hair, toilet paper, soap scum, organic materials, body oils, calcium & lime buildup, rust, flushable baby wipes, toothpaste, shampoo residue, iron buildup & more!
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY & BIODEGRADABLE: Safer alternative to toxic and dangerous liquid drain chemicals & safer to store around the home.
- DESTROYS HAIR CLOGS: Liquid-Plumr Hair Clog Eliminator is specially formulated for hair clogs, the most common reason for clogs in your drain
- POWERFUL DRAIN OPENER: This drain cleaner contains 70%* more actives to clear slow-running drains the first time. *As compared with Liquid-Plumr Full Clog Destroyer Plus Pipeguard
- SAFE ON ALL PIPES: This drain cleaner is safe for all septic systems and pipes, including PVC, plastic, metal and old drain pipes
- WORKS ON MULTIPLE DRAIN TYPES: Removes thick hair clogs safely and effectively on slow drains in bathroom sinks, kitchen sinks, showers and bathtubs
- FAST ACTING: Forget tricky drain snakes and other hair drain clog removers, simply pour the bottle down the drain, wait 15 minutes, then flush with hot water
- Formulated thick to dissolve the tough clogs fast
- Cuts through standing water straight to the clog
- Safe on PVC, metal pipes, garbage disposals and septic systems
- More than just a hair clog remover - guaranteed to work or your money back
- Removes and cleans clogs in all bathtubs, showers, and sinks
- This product is highly durable
- This product adds a great value
- This product is manufactured in United states
- THRIFT is the only four-solutions-in-one product that works on drains, sewer lines, grease traps and septic systems
- THRIFT will clean out a drain line in less than 60 seconds
- Dissolves clog-causing grease, hair and soap scum in pipes and septic systems
- Powerful granular formula generates heat to dissolve clog-causing agents on contact
- About 10-minute set
- For use in kitchen and bathroom sinks, tubs and showers
- Provides extra clog busting power
- Opens clogs even through standing water
- Dissolves grease, hair and food
- Safe for use in plastic pipes
- Professional strength
- 4 oz. per drain
- Microbes and Citrus Oil
- This product is to be used specifically for drains but can also be used to eliminate sugar snakes in soda fountain drip trays. It is also safe and effective to use in mop buckets and trash chutes and urinals.