Despite what may immediately come to mind, a woman cave is not filled with girly pink things. Furthermore, it is not the exact opposite of a man cave, in that it is obviously girly’ in design and style. Rather, it is a space where a woman can relax and have some me-time. A place where she can let her hair down, allowing her personality and creativity to run free.
Like a man cave, a woman cave can be located in various areas of the house, especially off-traffic spaces. A basement remodel is usually a time to add a spot for a woman cave, though it can also be located in an unused bedroom or any other secluded part of the house. But it is not always the case that women find their sanctuaries inside the house, sometimes it can be located outside the house. In such cases, it is more commonly referred to as a she-shed.
While the term she-shed’ conjures up an image of a lady surrounded by a large worktable with plenty of tools and a pile of timbre, a she-shed can be put to any use. The most important part is that it serves as a quite retreat from a busy life. For mothers who are looking for a place to escape the often-chaotic life that kids bring, it could also be called a mom cave or a mom shed.
We have a picture roundup of amazing woman cave and she shed ideas for you to use. The images will give you ideas on how to design and decorate your own sanctuary at home.
Finding the Right Space
The first step to the perfect sanctuary is determining where you will locate it. If you want somewhere inside the house, there are several possible locations that could work.
- Basement: The basement is one of the most common places to locate a woman cave. Even man caves tend to be located in the basement. This is one of the most ideal locations thanks to the secluded nature and space availability. You can design it the way you wish without getting in the way of your home décor. It is also naturally soundproof, creating a noise-free place to relax and do your stuff. The challenge with a basement finishing project is that it requires quite a bit of work before it ready to use.
- Spare Room: If you do not want the laborious and often expensive work of remodeling a room, a spare room makes for a quick woman cave. The only work remaining is decoration. If you are lucky, you might even get a spare bedroom with an attached bathroom. The only downside is the possible lack of seclusion.
- Garage: This seems more like the location of a man cave than a woman cave. But with some remodeling and decorating, it could become quite the beautiful space. It could work even better for a she-shed, where you expect to do some rougher work. With the garage however, you might have to share space with the car.
- Walk-In Closet: This is quite a brilliant idea. A walk in closet could make for a quiet, secluded and cozy woman cave, especially if it is unused. One downside is the space. On the bright side though, having a small space to work with could spur your creativity.
- Attic: This is often not a great location for a woman cave, or any other room for that matter. This is due to numerous construction challenges the attic presents. If you have to use the attic, make sure you get a good contractor to remodel it properly.
- Outdoor Shed: An outdoor building such as workshop or a tool shed can also work as a woman cave or she-shed. If there is no existing building, you can get one built, though this comes with extra costs of heating, lighting and electrical wiring.
Choosing a Theme
With the right space chosen, what theme have you decided on? A woman cave gives you the freedom to be as creative and unique as possible. This is your space and it should express who you are and what you love. Unlike other rooms in the house where practical considerations have to be made during decorations, you are allowed to throw most practicality out of the window when deciding on a she-shed theme.
Most women base their themes on their hobbies. If you love photography, you could use printed images and photography paraphernalia to establish a theme. If your passion is flowers, you could fill your shed with all kinds of potted ones and surround the shed in a garden of them. Essentially, let your passions and personality direct the decorations.