Featured Image Source: Tooltally.com
The best stud finder helps you locate the studs underneath your wall. Have you ever witnessed a costly appliance, a piece of art, or a shelf stacked with collector plates come falling off the floor? At that point, you already know how being able to find studs underneath a wall can save you a lot. But in order to find a stud, you first need to find the best stud finder.
Whether you are looking for a wall stud finder or an electronic stud finder, we have laid out a variety of options, along with their pros and cons, for your reference and convenience. Looking for the best stud finder should be an easy task once you read our review and buying guideline.
Our post intends to help furnish you with the fundamental advantages of a stud finder and what features to search for when you are looking for one. Furthermore, we will give you reviews of various stud finders so you can compare how different models perform.
- 【Safety always comes first】 VIVREAL devotes to developing a reliable stud finder and helping you to detect the hazard. No more worries about the annoying little things during decoration with the help of this stud finder. QUICKLY LOCATE the edges and center of the objects, saving users time and effort, making the task completion EASIER. This wall scanner can detect the Live AC Wire in all modes. Our advanced technology enables accuracy detection to protect you from danger.
- 【FOUR SCANNING MODES】The stud finder provides four scanning modes in total for detection. Depending on the tasks you have, you can switch to the desired mode. The STUD SCAN is used for finding and locating the center and edges of wood or metal studs up to 3/4 in (19mm) deep; DEEP MODE for scanning walls for 1 1/(2 ) in (38mm) deep; METAL SCAN for locating and detecting metal (such as 1/2 inch rebar) up to 2 1/(4 )in (60mm) deep; and AC SCAN for locating live AC wires up to 2 in (51mm) deep.
- 【GRAPHICAL LCD DISPLAY】The multi Function wall scanner detector has a GRAPHICAL LCD DISPLAY, which indicates many cues in detection, such as detection mode, signal strength, automatic calibration, battery indication with maximum readability. And the Low Battery Indicator icon displays when the battery level is getting low, reminding you to replace a brand new 9-volt battery in time.
- 【SOUND WARNING】The multi-function stud finder offers the BEEP SIGNAL ALERT. When you have detected an object with the wall scanner, it will beep continually. The big sound warning together with the LCD screen helps detect the accurate location of the objects. Then a peck shape will display on the graphical screen. You can use the pencil to point to the location of the object. The audible and visible cues reliably keep users informed when an object, such as metal, studs, AC live wiring gets found
- 【SIMPLE AND FAST】The stud finder wall scanner can QUICKLY LOCATE the edges and center of metal studs, pipes, rebar, joists behind walls, floors, and ceilings as well as the live AC wires. Fast detection saves users time and efforts, making the task completion EASIER. One button on the middle of the body is used for selecting from four scanning modes. The other button is on the left side of the device, which helps you easily read the information on LCD screen and quickly detect the objects behind
- The Most Accurate Wall Scanner- Our team specializes in stud finder for years and adopts the most Advance Sensors Technology for accurately & quickly locating studs wood metal AC wires! In all modes, this wall scanner always detect and indicate the Live AC Wires. Whether you are a professional, homeowner or a DIY enthusiast, you can find great use in this electronic stud scanner.
- 4 in 1 Multifunction Plus Deep Detection - This digital wall scanner includes four different scanning modes for woods, beam, joist, metals, AC wires behind floors ceilings and walls. Stud mode detects wooden beams and joists in drywall up to 1.2 inches; Metal mode detects pipe, rebar, aluminum and copper up to 1.57 inches;and Deep mode could detect woods or metals located up to 1.77 inches; while live AC wires up to 2.36 inches.
- Upgraded Design of LCD Screen - Displaying the Desired Stud Material As Well As Its Precise Position - This digital stud scanner features large LCD display together with clear sound to detect the accurate location of stud metal AC wires. When the material is detected, its LCD screen will indicate the direction and intensity ,all these indicate whether you are closer to the target. This fast detection surely saves you more time and efforts, making your project EASIER.
- Auto-Calibration and Ergonomic Grip for Comfortable Use -Proper calibration before every using provides you with maximum reliability and accuracy.And the ergonomic design of this wall stud finder makes it comfortable to hold from any angle.
- Professional Design with Top Quality - We have a professional team and mature productions process,and has been dedicated to Research and develop stud finders for many years. This stud finder wall detector can quickly locate the metal wood AC wires hidden in the walls, floors and ceilings, help you find the exact stud while installing TVs, cabinets, garage shelves etc.
- 【Your Good Helper 】If you want to drill a hole into a wall, you had better know the things hiding behind the wall. Owing to the advance sensor our detector can quickly and precisely locate the position of the stud behind walls. The detector would show objects such as pipes, rebars, joists, metal studs, AC live wires on the LCD display with a warning tone in order to inform users.
- 【4 In 1 Wide Application】With four scanning modes this detector can scan the woods, beam, joist, metals, AC wires and the object behind the wall, floor, ceiling. Stud mode is used for finding studs up to 0.75 inches (19 mm) deep; Deep mode for scanning walls for 1.5 inches (38 mm) deep; Metal scan for locating metal up to 2.25 inches (60 mm) deep; and AC scan for detecting life AC wires up to 2 in (51 mm) deep.
- 【Visual Display And Beep Warning】Built-in backlit digital LCD screen,which indicates many cues in detection, such as detection mode, signal strength, automatic calibration & battery power indication, it’s easier to help you read and operate it when using this wall scanner.
- 【Automatic Calibration For Safety Use】The upgraded design of LCD screen with the warning sound in the detector can indicate many items such as detection mode, AC wire warning, battery indicator, direction indicator and display bars. You can easy to clarify the location of objects though the LCD display and beep alert.
- 【Broader Audience And Hassle Free】 This stud finder is designed to locating the items hiding in the wall, to help you detect on walls floors and ceilings.If you have any questions, please contact us.
- Advanced Multi-Sense technology senses the wall in multiple locations simultaneously
- Bright LEDs lights illuminate to indicate the position of hidden objects - making it very easy to visualize the position of studs
- Identifies the width of hidden objects so that you not only know the position of hidden objects, but so you also know the size of them
- Can identify the position of multiple studs simultaneously
- Small And Compact, Easily Fits In Pocket
- Powerful Magnets Allows Hands Free Use
- 2 Way Level For Ease Of Marking
- No Batteries Required. Scan Depth: 1 Inch. Rotating Level For Horizontal And Vertical Leveling
- Two-In-One Accuracy - Two-In-One Line Laser And Stud Sensor Made For Hanging And Straightening Tasks At Home
- Intuitive Design - Easy-To-Read Lcd Display For Users Of All Skill Levels
- Bullseye Auto-Leveling Technology - Patented Auto-Leveling Technology For Accurate And Beautiful Horizontal Framing
- High-Powered Stud Sensor - Detects Wood And Metal Studs And Live A/C Wires
- The Zircon SS e50 electronic stud scanner detects the edges of wood and metal studs and alerts you of live AC wires helping you easily find studs and avoid hazards while mounting a TV, hanging cabinets, installing garage shelving and more
- StudScan mode locates the edges of wood or metal studs up to 0.75 inches (19 mm) deep while DeepScan mode locates targets up to 1.5 inches (38 mm) deep
- WireWarning Detection indicates the presence of live, unshielded electrical AC wiring while scanning in StudScan and DeepScan modes.Operating Temperature:20° to 105°F (-7° to 41°C)
- Patented "Over the Stud" Indicator and SpotLite Pointing System ensure the e50 provides trustworthy results while the ergonomic grip design allows for comfortable use regardless of hand size
- One fully charged 9V battery, not included, is required for the stud scanner to run at optimal performance
How To Use A Stud Finder
There’s no point of having the best stud finder when you don’t know how to use a stud finder. How does a stud finder work, and why is it a must-have tool for homeowners and professionals? Read on to know how to use a stud finder.
If you are wondering how does a stud finder work, you need to turn it on and explore its features. Before turning it on, make sure that you have inserted batteries in it. Place the stud finder toward the wall that you’re checking for studs, then turn the device on. Ensure that the stud finder is calibrated according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Next, gradually move the device horizontally along the wall. You will know that you have found a stud when its indicator illuminates. Move the finder forward and backward to find the external edges of the stud. You’ll need to know precisely how wide each stud is so you can work within those parameters.
Mark the beginning and end point of each stud with a pencil. Continue moving horizontally along the wall until you’ve found all of the studs in the area.
Finally, check if there are real studs inside the wall by measuring the distance between each mark. Studs are usually set 16 to 24 inches apart. If you have an off measurement, there’s a chance it could be pipes or some other wall obstruction.
What To Look For In The Best Stud Finder
There are certain things to consider when searching for the best stud finder:
- Kinds Of Sensors
There are two kinds of sensors: electronic and magnetic. The magnetic ones are typically less expensive than electronic models. They utilize rare earth magnets, so you don’t need to use or look for batteries to power it. Meanwhile, electronic sensors assess the depth of your walls for thickness changes. They include additional features like finding stud edges or built-in LCD screens. They even give more scanning modes and can also distinguish AC wires.
- Sensor Size
The size of the sensor is another significant thing to consider. A bigger sensor will have many advantages. For example, it will cover a more extensive area over a shorter period, so you won’t need to move the stud finder too much. Some advanced models include more high-tech features – they can find more studs at the same time. A huge scanning area can offer multiple scanning zones that function independently.
While not always a general rule, a broader model can go deeper. If it’s larger, it can presumably contain a more powerful sensor.
The best stud finder ought to be anything but difficult to hold firmly and comfortably. You will need smooth movements, or the calibration can come up short and provide you false readings. Thus, the model needs to be ergonomic and straightforward to utilize.
Some stud finders are shrouded in non-slip surfaces for added efficiency.
The display in electronic stud finders should give a lot of information to your activity. But this is a matter of individual preferences. More often than not, you should see a representation of the stud, measurements, and maybe the battery level. Anything else is simply extra.
And The Best Stud Finder Is…
If you are a traditional handyman, a DIYer, or a housewife who loves all things simple, we can’t recommend the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder enough! The CH Hanson magnetic stud finder is one of the most compact, affordable, and efficient stud finders available on the market. If you need to install an appliance to a wall that is less than 1 ½ inches wide, then this product is for you.
Unlike electronic models, the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder does not need to be calibrated or run with batteries. At less than eight dollars, this product is a gift for DIYers and hobbyists. In addition, it also comes with a hands-free functionality for ease of marking and use. It is compact, simple to use, and will stick with you for a very long time.
However, if you need an electronic stud finder with higher features such as detecting wood and metal studs, copper or steel pipes, and electric wires, we recommend the Vivreal Stud Finder Wall Scanner.
Other Great Articles to Read:
To view our Amazon Associates Disclaimer, please click here.