Whether you’re building a basement gym or a workout room in your guest room, there are a few factors you should consider before deciding on the best home gym flooring. The way you plan on using the room, in addition to your exercise needs and specifications, can determine what floor would work best.
For avid workout fans and fitness enthusiasts alike, there are many benefits to having an at-home gym and workout room. Getting started with a fun and unique home workout room can be exciting yet overwhelming, with many different options of flooring or carpeting to choose from. The type of gym flooring you choose can determine what kind of workout you’re looking for, and it can help you to stay supported and on your feet while you go through your favorite physical activities. From residential rubber flooring to carpet tiles, there are several options to decide on. Check out this quick guide to help you determine which exercise room flooring is best for you.
Guide to the Best Home Gym Flooring
Since there’s a wide variety of fitness flooring options available for your at-home gym, you can start narrowing down your choices by deciding what your fitness needs and room requirements are. Some people only require a small corner of their room to dedicate towards a few workout machines and weights. Others want to transform entire basements into a workout paradise, to save the trouble of having to drive to a distant gym somewhere in town. The right kind of workout room flooring is different depending on what kind of room you want, and how big of a space you are planning on using.
There are of course other factors to consider such as budget, comfortability, aesthetic appeal, and ergonomic fit. All of these considerations are combined to create the best home gym flooring for your at-home fitness room.
Below are the four most common and popular types of home gym flooring that you can easily find at your local hardware or gym supply store. Take a look at the options listed below to see if any of them would work best for your needs.
Home Gym Rubber Flooring Ideas
Rubber flooring for basement or workout room gyms is one of the most viable options on the market today. This is because it is available both in large rolls and in tiles, so you can place them in whichever way is easiest for you. They are also some of the more affordable options, making it easier to buy them in bulk.
Some of the advantages and benefits of rubber flooring include:
- Easy installation – Rubber flooring can be easily installed, requiring little to no installation experience for it to work properly. This makes it an easy option for the average homeowner.
- Long lasting – Rubber basement flooring can last over 10 years. It can even withstand heavy amounts of wear and tear, with equipment and footsteps, for many years.
- Healthy – This kind of rubber floor is antimicrobial, meaning that it will never grow mold or mildew. It does not absorb water, making it one of the best flooring options available for fitness flooring. Plus, you can easily pick it or roll it up and store it or transport it to another location.
Not to mention that rubber is super sound absorbent, meaning that you can keep your workouts quiet while you’re at home. If you are worried about disturbing your other family members who are sleeping, you can incorporate rubber flooring to absorb some of the sound and keep your routine contained to that room.
Some of the drawbacks of rubber basement flooring include:
- Expensive for colors – If you want bright colors, might be more expensive.
- No temperature insulation – If you install your rubber flooring on a cold floor, the rubber will feel cold, too. There isn’t a good amount of temperature transmission.
If you are looking for bright colors for your flooring that won’t hurt your whole wallet, you can consider the following additional options as a good alternative to rubber flooring.
Home Gym Flooring – Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl tiles are a popular flooring option, both for home gym flooring and for other types of flooring as well. This versatile, functional material is adaptable to almost any situation, and it comes in a variety of colors and patterns for you to choose from.
A lot of companies that manufacture vinyl do so because it is great for use in basements and garages. They will also work with your fitness room. They provide a lot of benefits, the biggest of which include: