Featured Image Source: Crisp Architects
Linear fireplaces are popular additions to both residential and commercial buildings. They can add a variety of new styles and designs, while providing that same familiar warmth and comfort that all humans crave. There’s something satisfying about a linear fireplace providing a beautiful and cozying fire to complete the look of any living room or office building lobby.
This trending fireplace addition has been making headway in many different forms of interior design and decor. But, what exactly is a linear fireplace? What different types of linear fireplaces are there? Can they come in both gas and electric styles? This roundup will give you a clear idea of the different types of linear fireplaces available, as well as the specific features that compose this linear style. Check out the guide below and find a style that works best for you!
The linear gas fireplace by Adeas Interior Design LLC creates a sleek and modern look with its long and narrow design. Stunning built-in modern electric fireplace with flames changing from orange to blue.
This electric fireplace by Mendota Hearth is mounted into the wall, creating a flush and seamless appearance. You will love making memories in this warm contemporary living room.
A bold brown and black linear fireplace by Heat N’ Sweep with a metallic accent on the hearth makes for a striking focal point in the room. Stay warm and be cozy indoors with this gorgeous fireplace.
MOUNTAIN DENVER DEW
This linear gas fireplace boasts a sleek and rustic design, complementing the contemporary decor. A rustic contemporary ski lodge by Aspen Leaf Interiors with glorious views.
The linear gas fireplace by Phoenix Fires with a stone surround and wooden mantle exudes a rustic charm. Keeping simple, minimal, and sustainable with this gray living room.
FIRE & ICE
The modern and sleek design of this linear gas fireplace by Heat N’ Sweep is enhanced by the chic metallic surround. A beautifully decorated living room will elevate your mood.
IS THAT GOT?
The black linear gas fireplace by Charles Cunniffe Architects Aspen is beautifully framed by a white mantel and bookshelves, creating a dramatic focal point in the room. Enjoy watching your favorite TV series in this contemporary family room with a home bar.
What is a Linear Gas Fireplace or Electric Fireplace?
Also known as contemporary fireplaces or rectangular fireplaces, linear fireplaces are a specific style of fireplace that can be installed in almost any kind of space. They are typically long and rectangular, giving them their nickname. This allows them to be installed flush with any kind of wall or building material, such as a living room wall or even the wall of a commercial building.
People tend to enjoy installing linear fireplaces inside of the walls, making them flush with the rest of the decor. That way, they don’t stick out unnecessarily or cause any kind of asymmetry with the room’s design. They aren’t bound by the traditional fireplace requirement – they can go anywhere, at any height.
A huge contributing factor to the popularity of linear fireplaces is the fact that they are almost endless in their opportunity for design. They can be long, short, tall, thin, modern, contemporary, or seemingly infinite.
The modern design of this linear electric fireplace by Single Point Design Build Inc. makes it the perfect addition to any modern home. We love this modern fireplace wall with a herringbone tile pattern and attached floating shelves.
The linear electric fireplace by Wyckoff Heating Cooling with a mirrored background offers a chic and glamorous touch to the living room. We adore the laidback feel of this living room with dim lights and warm colors.
The sleek and simple design by Wyckoff Heating Cooling of this linear gas fireplace allows it to blend seamlessly into any room decor. A sensational fireplace wall with natural stone makes this home extra welcoming.
Typical Linear Fireplace Features
While they are unlimited in scope, the most common and popular styles of linear fireplace design include:
- A length of 3’ all the way up to 21’
- Direct venting for the fireplace
- See through glass, which is great for connecting two rooms
- A glass that is safe to the touch, and does not conduct heat
- Heating capacity of up to 14,500 BTUs per foot
- Zero clearance to all surfaces, even up against combustible building material
- Customization options for decoration
Depending on the style and design specifications you choose, you can find a variety of reliable brands and builds to suit your needs. Take advantage of the popularity of linear fireplaces as you browse the hundreds of selections through popular manufacturers and hardware suppliers. Below is a list of the most popular types of gas, electric, and propane fireplaces that you can find on the market today. Check them out!
This electric fireplace by Heat N’ Sweep with a wooden mantel and stone surround creates a cozy and inviting atmosphere in the room. Level up your fireplace surrounds with some elegant mosaic tiles.
The modern and sleek design by Heat N’ Sweep of this linear gas fireplace adds a touch of sophistication to the living room. The distressed teal tiles blend well with the bricks for this fireplace wall.
The minimalist electric fireplace by Heat N’ Sweep with a sleek metal frame provides a warm and cozy ambiance to the space. High-gloss large format tiles for this stunning modern fireplace.
The linear gas fireplace by Wyckoff Heating Cooling with a marble surround and wooden mantel creates an elegant and classic look. The natural stone fireplace wall provides texture and a dramatic impact on this room.
Types of Gas Fireplaces
Gas fireplaces are the most popular types of fireplaces to invest in for both indoor and outdoor heating options. Whether you are looking for a new linear fireplace for your patio, or you need to heat your indoor cabin with something consistent and reliable, there are many gas fireplaces available. Linear gas fireplaces can vary in price, size, style, and design, making them easy options to pick up for any kind of job or occasion.
Natural Gas Fireplaces
Linear fireplaces that are fueled by natural gas can provide plenty of benefits to you due to their warming capabilities and environmental friendliness. Natural gas fireplaces provide constant heat, unlike a traditional wooden log fireplace, which needs replacement every so often.
These types of fireplaces are also less costly to keep going. Natural gas is cheap and efficient. Replacing your wood fireplace with a gas linear fireplace could save you up to 25% on your energy bill, giving you the chance to save the environment and your bank.
Gas linear fireplaces can be turned on and off with the flip of a switch, making them a solid choice for when you want to easily and safely control the heating of your fireplace. Plus, there are no extra fumes being released by the natural gas, making it easy to breathe while you are enjoying the heat in the comfort of your own home.
With a natural gas fireplace, there is no chimney required. The built-in venting systems that are available in most linear fireplace styles will allow you to install them anywhere without having to worry about the buildup of smoke or heat.
LP Linear Fireplace
LP fireplaces, or liquid propane fireplaces, are also viable options for a variety of linear fireplace styles. This is an especially good option for an outdoor fireplace, as propane provides a high level of heat and an opportunity to remain outside all night long. There are a range of propane types to choose from, and each comes with its own set of benefits.
Propane fireplaces have been easily incorporated into the linear fireplace style, as they are best known for their ease of use and ease of access to the fuel, which in this case is propane. Propane comes in a cylinder container, and directly dispenses the gas into the fireplace itself. All you need to do is turn the propane on or off when you want to use your linear fireplace.
You don’t have to worry about the fire ever burning out, as the gas is very easy to control and can come in as a constant flow. Plus, it’s very easy to acquire propane, as you can find it at most hardware and even some grocery store locations. One of the major advantages that this kind of fireplace has over a natural gas fireplace is that propane is much easier to acquire than natural gas. However, propane fireplaces are typically only for outside use.
Types of Electric Fireplaces
There are many types of electric fireplace designs to choose from. When you’re looking to install a new linear fireplace from scratch, and you don’t already have an existing fireplace in your home, you can use an electric fireplace design to add to your remodeling efforts.
An electric fireplace uses electric heater components to create the same look of a natural fireplace, but without any real fire or gas. Most electric fireplaces run on 120-volt power, which can be incorporated with a linear fireplace depending on the size and length you prefer.
There are many types of electric fireplaces that are available in a linear design. Whether you are looking for something silent or freestanding, you can browse current trends to find out what type of electric fireplace would work best for this style.
Infrared Quartz Heater
Some fireplaces come with infrared quartz technology, which delivers heat through an invisible yet powerful infrared light. This type of heating mechanism warms everything that is directly in front of it, rather than warming the air itself. It’s great for warming bodies and furniture in a relaxing room. Guests love being able to feel warm and cozy from any distance, without having to get up close and personal with the fireplace if they don’t want to.
Freestanding Electric Fireplaces
Freestanding electric heaters are popular, not just for fireplaces but for other heating components as well. They are made for being installed flush against a wall or within the architecture of the home; naturally, this makes them go hand in hand with linear fireplaces. They are available in more traditional styles as well as modern designs, which correlate more closely with the types of rectangular fireplaces that you’ll find in stores or online.
Forced Fan Heater
A forced fan electric fireplace is one that uses a quiet fan to blow over coils, sending heat out into the room. The fan is typically silent, meaning you won’t have to worry about an annoying buzzing or whirling sound every time you want to use your fireplace. This can produce a good amount of heat that serves as an alternative to infrared heaters.
Modern Fireplace Design
A modern gas fireplace is one that can accurately describe the common look and feel of linear fireplaces, which are almost always built as part of existing structures or walls. They are flush with the wall, or they even sink into the wall in the same way a shelf or television stand would. This ode to modernity implies a simplistic, efficient, and symmetrical look.
Modern linear fireplaces don’t stick out of the wall, don’t require a chimney, and typically don’t have mantels or stoops. They can be above or below pieces of furniture, they can serve as the backdrop of an executive office space, or they can be made with transparent glass to separate two rooms while keeping up with the modern style of openness. There are a lot of unique options to play around with when incorporating a modern fireplace design into your room.
Contemporary Fireplace Design
Contemporary fireplaces go hand in hand with a modern style. Most contemporary fireplaces are nested, and they may or may not come with a more traditional fireplace look. They can have a mantel if they are situated closer to the ground, and they often blend in as part of the contemporary decor of the room.
- Attractive and Practical Design: 60"L x 18.11"H x3.89 "W ,The thickness of the new style is only 3.85 inch while the old one is 6 inch. And it operates the same as the old one. Also we redesign the location of main power and power cable, which makes the new fireplace more attractive and practical.
- Multi Operation Modes: Touch screen and remote control;12 flame & LED flame bed color modes;5 flame speed modes;5 flame brightness levels; Specially automatic flame design(the flame color and brightness changed
- Energy Saving: 750W & 1500W modes can be adjusted accordingly for both warm and energy saving purpose. The supplemental zone heating is for up to 400 square feet.
- Safety and Comfort: ETL Certificate Approved. It also has auto-heat kill safety to avoid the superheating. The heat is good for maintaining the natural humidity within the air without making the room too dry.
- Consider buying one set for your sweet home. Let R.W.FLAME electric fireplace warm your home and life.
- 【Thin in thickness】: Bossin electric fireplace features a thin, pratical and light design. At 3.85 inches thickness, black linear frame,tempered glass with front air outlet., it’s a sleek contemporary fireplace perfectly fit for your living room,entertainment center and bedroom.
- 【Big on capability】Full spectrum LED colors,12 flame & LED flame bed color modes;5 flame speed modes;5 flame brightness levels,specially automatic flame design. Come with crystal glass stone, realistic flame will offer a true-to-life fire experience.
- 【Easy to operate】Remote and touch screen make it more convenient to control every function of electric fireplace,power switch,1-8 hours timer control,independent switch of heating and flame,adjustable flame color and speed,sleep mode function.
- 【Quiet on heating】 The noise the fireplace heater makes is lower than 40 dB,750W & 1500W modes can be adjusted accordingly for both warm and energy saving purpose. The supplemental zone heating is for up to 400 square feet.
- 【Safety and guarantee】UL & ETL certificated.Free replacement or money back guarantee for any quality problem within 30 days, Free parts replacements for Installation problem, Damaged or Missing parts within 12 months.
- Multiple Install Methods:This electric fireplace not only can be Recessed or semi recessed in wall but also can be Wall Mounted, This 42-inch-wide electric fireplace only weighs 42.9pounds, so one person can easily hang it on the wall using the step-by-step instructions provided. Once it has been mounted to your wall, all you need to do is hang and secure your fireplace with the drywall screws. Overall dimensions: 42” x 18.11” x 3.86”
- Realistic Flame Effects:Ultra High Intensity Led lights with large display allows the flame to "burn" high enough, flames emerge slowly from the "source" and then get pulled to the top of the fireplace where they flash in the heat of the top of the fireplace.12-color flame and crystal combination change creat an incredibly realistic & colorful effects (The colors range from traditional red to a modern blue, purple or pink)
- THERMOSTAT and ENERGY SAVINGS: Front heater blower, 750W & 1500W modes can be adjusted accordingly for both warm and energy saving purpose. The supplemental zone heating is for up to 400 square feet.The heating level can be adjusted according to the your preference, making this fireplace a functional electric heater or a practical decorative no heat fireplace. You can turn it all up in freezing winter to keep you snug and warm.
- Flexible Control Modes:Remote and touch screen make it more convenient to control every function of electric fireplace,power switch,1-8 hours timer control,independent switch of heating and flame,adjustable flame color and speed,sleep mode function.
- Safe to Use and Pollution-free: Our product is CETL certified and equipped with safety cut-off device for overheat protection. Since it is not a real flame, the electric fireplace will not produce harmful gas, dust or ashes, which ensures an environmentally friendly use.
- 【Size Guide and Design】：This series of electric fireplaces have a total of five sizes. The size you are looking for right now is 30 inches. This fireplace’s length is 30 inches, the wide is 3.85 inches, the height is 18.11 inches and the weight is 26.45 LB. The whole machine adopts an integrated body, and the material of the body is made of sturdy metal.
- 【Realistic Flame】: We hired an excellent design team. We have been revising the design of our products in recent years. High Intensity LED lights with large display allows the flame to "burn" high enough, flames emerge slowly from the "source" and then get pulled to the top of the fireplace where they flash in the heat of the top of the fireplace. Customers can change the color of the log and the flame according to their own preferences and there are a total of 12 matching.
- 【Flexible Control Modes】: Remote and touch screen make it more convenient to control every function of electric fireplace,power switch,1-8 hours timer control,independent switch of heating and flame,adjustable flame color and speed,sleep mode function. The top independent physical switch design has passed ETL security certification.
- 【Safety and Energy Saving】: Our fireplace has 750W & 1500W two modes can be adjusted accordingly for both warm and energy saving purpose. The supplemental zone heating is for up to 400 square feet. We have ETL Certificate. It also has auto-heat kill safety to avoid the overheating. The heat is good for maintaining the natural humidity within the air without making the room too dry.
- 【High quality】: We only make high-quality fireplace products, which are of moderate price and you can use it everywhere, such as sitting room and bedroom. Maybe you only spend a little more, but it does bring you a real improvement in the quality of life.
- REALISTIC LOG SET: Amaze your guests with the lifelike flames of this electric fireplace. Its realistic flames are set in a pile of faux logs or crystals (both included) that lends the homey appeal of an authentic fireplace. The log set or crystals lie behind durable tempered glass with a contemporary black frame. Enjoy smoke-free air while feeling warm during a cold night. This electric fireplace is 50.4” in width, 21.65” in height, and 5.5” deep.
- TWO HEAT OPTIONS: Touchstone Electric Fireplaces feature two heat settings (high and low) that can provide supplemental heat to any room of up to 400 square feet. This allows you to control the amount of warmth produced to create a cozy atmosphere. A five-flame brightness setting that ranges from a dull ember glow to a full blazing light lets you adjust the flames depending on your desired luminosity.
- HASSLE-FREE INSTALLATION: This 50-inch-wide electric fireplace only weighs 46 pounds, so one person can easily install it alone. Enjoy a hassle-free and simple installation using the step-by-step instructions provided. Once it has been mounted to your wall, all you need to do is hang and secure your fireplace with the drywall screws. You no longer need to stack firewood or clean up ashes to turn up the heat, as the Touchstone Electric Fireplace is powered by a remote control.
- ELEGANT HOME DÉCOR: Fill a big blank wall with a touch of modernity and elegance. This electric fireplace will serve as functional décor for your bedroom, library, or family room. It can be used at any time of the year, since it has a dual-mode feature that allows the fireplace to operate with or without heat. A built-in timer for auto-shutoff can be set for 30 minutes to 7.5 hours.
- SAFE AND EFFICIENT TO USE: The risk of having a wood-burning fireplace that might cause chimney fires or other dangers is no longer a worry with a Touchstone Electric Fireplace! The Onyx fireplace uses energy efficient LED technology. It’s safe for children and pets, since its LED bulbs are cool to the touch and mercury-free. The Touchstone Electric Fireplace guarantees that you get your money’s worth.
Design Your Linear Fireplace for a Stylish Way to Get Warm
Whether you are interested in a contemporary fireplace, a modern fireplace, or a more traditional style fireplace, you can customize and personalize your new linear fireplace to meet your specifications. It’s important to keep in mind that it’s not just the size and length of linear fireplaces that can be adjusted, but the design as well. You can add a variety of facades and finishes that best match the look you are going for. Rock walls, wooden panels, or even brick trim can line your linear fireplace in a way that stands out and pulls the whole room together.
This is an image roundup post, curated to showcase and promote other reputable contracting companies’ and their amazing work. To have any of the images removed, please reach out to us and we would be happy to do so.