The best stud finder helps you locate the studs underneath your wall. Have you ever witnessed a costly appliance, a piece of art, or a shelf stacked with collector plates come falling off the floor? At that point, you already know how being able to find studs underneath a wall can save you a lot. But in order to find a stud, you first need to find the best stud finder.
Whether you are looking for a wall stud finder or an electronic stud finder, we have laid out a variety of options, along with their pros and cons, for your reference and convenience. Looking for the best stud finder should be an easy task once you read our review and buying guideline.
Our post intends to help furnish you with the fundamental advantages of a stud finder and what features to search for when you are looking for one. Furthermore, we will give you reviews of various stud finders so you can compare how different models perform.
- 【FOUR SCANNING MODES】The stud finder provides four scanning modes in total for detection. Depending on the tasks you have, you can switch to the desired mode. The STUD SCAN is used for finding and locating the center and edges of wood or metal studs up to 3/4 in (19mm) deep; DEEP MODE for scanning walls for 1 1/(2 ) in (38mm) deep; METAL SCAN for locating and detecting metal (such as 1/2 inch rebar) up to 2 1/(4 )in (60mm) deep; and AC SCAN for locating live AC wires up to 2 in (51mm) deep.
- 【GRAPHICAL LCD DISPLAY】The multi Function wall scanner detector has a GRAPHICAL LCD DISPLAY, which indicates many cues in detection, such as detection mode, signal strength, automatic calibration, battery indication with maximum readability. And the Low Battery Indicator icon displays when the battery level is getting low, reminding you to replace a brand new 9-volt battery in time.
- 【SOUND WARNING】The multi-function stud finder offers the BEEP SIGNAL ALERT. When you have detected an object with the wall scanner, it will beep continually. The big sound warning together with the LCD screen helps detect the accurate location of the objects. Then a peck shape will display on the graphical screen. You can use the pencil to point to the location of the object. The audible and visible cues reliably keep users informed when an object, such as metal, studs, AC live wiring gets found
- 【AUTOMATIC CALIBRATION】The wall detector stud finder would AUTOMATICALLY CALIBRATE ITSELF when it is turned on. The calibration is done by positioning the device on the wall where there is no wood studs, AC wires or metal. The stud finder will indicate whether it has been already calibrated or not. The automatic calibration is accurate and precise, providing users with maximum reliability, greatly reducing errors in application and makes sure that most objects behind the wall can be detected.
- 【SIMPLE AND FAST】The stud finder wall scanner can QUICKLY LOCATE the edges and center of metal studs, pipes, rebar, joists behind walls, floors, and ceilings as well as the live AC wires. Fast detection saves users time and efforts, making the task completion EASIER. One button on the middle of the body is used for selecting from four scanning modes. The other button is on the left side of the device, which helps you easily read the information on LCD screen and quickly detect the objects behind
- The Most Accurate Wall Scanner- Tavool specializes in stud finder for years and adopts the most Advance Sensors Technology for accurately & quickly locating studs wood metal AC wires! In all modes, this wall scanner always detect and indicate the Live AC Wire. Whether you are a professional, homeowner or a DIY enthusiast, you can find great use in this electronic stud scanner
- 4 IN 1 Multiplication Plus Deep Detection - This digital wall scanner includes four different scanning modes for woods, beam, joist, metals, AC wires and deeply embedded objects behind floor, ceiling, wall. Stud mode detects wooden beams and joists in drywall up to 1.2 inches. Metal mode detects pipe , rebar, aluminum and copper up to 1.57 inches.Deep mode detects wood and metal parts located up to 1.77 inches while 85~240 volt AC current for voltage and live electrical lines up to 2.36 inches
- Upgrade Design of LCD Screen - Displaying the Desired Stud Material As Well As the Precise Position of the Stud - The Tavool digital stud scanner features large LCD display together with the big sound to detect the accurate location of stud metal Ac wires. When find the material, the LCD display will indicate the direction and the intensity of sound tells whether you are more close to the target. The fast detection saves users time and efforts, making the task completion EASIER
- Automatic Calibration and Ergonomic Grip for Comfortable Use - Turning on the stud finder and Completing Calibration. The automatic calibration before using provides users with maximum reliability and accuracy. Then put it on the wall. The wood beam finder will flash once it has picked up the edge of a stud.The ergonomic design of this wall stud finder makes it comfortable to hold from any angle
- Professional Design with Top Quality - Tavool has been dedicated to Research and develop stud finders for many years, and we have a professional team and mature productions process. This stud joist finder wall detector can quickly locate the metal wood AC wire that are hidden in the walls, floors and ceilings of your house, help you find the exact stud while installing TVs, cabinets, garage shelves etc.
- 【YOUR GOOD HELPER 】If you want to drill a hole into a wall, you had better know the things hiding behind the wall. Owing to the advance sensor our detector can quickly and precisely locate the position of the stud behind walls. The detector would show objects such as pipes, rebars, joists, metal studs, AC live wires on the LCD display with a warning tone in order to inform users.
- 【4 IN 1 WIDE APPLICATION】With four scanning modes this detector can scan the woods, beam, joist, metals, AC wires and the object behind the wall, floor, ceiling. Stud mode is used for finding studs up to 0.75 inches (19 mm) deep; Deep mode for scanning walls for 1.5 inches (38 mm) deep; Metal scan for locating metal up to 2.25 inches (60 mm) deep; and AC scan for detecting life AC wires up to 2 in (51 mm) deep.
- 【VISUAL DISPLAY AND BEEP WARNING】Built-in backlit digital LCD screen,which indicates many cues in detection, such as detection mode, signal strength, automatic calibration & battery power indication, it’s easier to help you read and operate it when using this wall scanner.
- 【AUTOMATIC CALIBRATION FOR SAFETY USE】The upgraded design of LCD screen with the warning sound in the detector can indicate many items such as detection mode, AC wire warning, battery indicator, direction indicator and display bars. You can easy to clarify the location of objects though the LCD display and beep alert.
- 【BROADER AUDIENCE AND HASSLE FREE】 This stud finder is designed to locating the items hiding in the wall, to help you detect on walls floors and ceilings.If you have any questions, please contact us.
- 【5 in 1 Multi-Function Mode】Compared with other stud sensors, Meterk stud finder not only featuring detection for wood stud exact mode, wood stud deep mode, metal objects mode (iron and non-ferrous metals), copper conductors mode (live), but also detection for moisture in the wood and building materials, offering a wider range of detection performance
- 【Locate the Center of Stud !】Meterk stud finder can be used to find the center of the stud in just once the operation. When the stud sensor is approaching the center of the stud, the signal strength will increase and accompany the sound. At the center, the center icon "+" will appears and the signal strength shows 100% full on the screen. However, other products need to be operated twice in the left and right direction to find the center by looking for the edge of the stud
- 【Wood Exact/Deep Mode】Stud sensor can detect metal, wood and live cables in walls, ceilings, and floors. Wood exact mode scans through one layer of drywall up to 0.79 inches (20mm) thick. Deep mode scans through 2 layers of drywall up to 1.50 inch (38 mm) deep. Deep stud scan mode is a higher sensitivity scanning mode that should be used when there are extra layers of wallboard
- 【Convenient Design】Meterk sensor detector has a mute setting, which is very convenient for those who think that the alarm sound is annoying or use it somewhere in the library. This sensor detector has a large LCD display, the backlight function supports to detect studs even in dark environments. Whether you are a professional, a homeowner or a DIY enthusiast, you can find good uses in it
- 【Make Your DIY Homework Easier !】 This wall detector quickly locates the center of the material, helping you avoid danger when installing TV, cabinets, garage racks, and more. The ability to measure the moisture content of wood and building materials can be of great help in wood processing, water damage repair, and home renovation. 1 x Meterk stud finder, 2 AAA battery, 1 x portable bag, 1 x user manual, 1 x warranty card( 24 month ).
- Small and compact, easily fits in pocket
- Powerful magnets allows hands free use
- 2 way level for ease of marking
- No batteries required. Scan Depth: 1 inch
- Soft grip for easy grabbing and gentle touch
How To Use A Stud Finder
There’s no point of having the best stud finder when you don’t know how to use a stud finder. How does a stud finder work, and why is it a must-have tool for homeowners and professionals? Read on to know how to use a stud finder.
If you are wondering how does a stud finder work, you need to turn it on and explore its features. Before turning it on, make sure that you have inserted batteries in it. Place the stud finder toward the wall that you’re checking for studs, then turn the device on. Ensure that the stud finder is calibrated according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Next, gradually move the device horizontally along the wall. You will know that you have found a stud when its indicator illuminates. Move the finder forward and backward to find the external edges of the stud. You’ll need to know precisely how wide each stud is so you can work within those parameters.
Mark the beginning and end point of each stud with a pencil. Continue moving horizontally along the wall until you’ve found all of the studs in the area.
Finally, check if there are real studs inside the wall by measuring the distance between each mark. Studs are usually set 16 to 24 inches apart. If you have an off measurement, there’s a chance it could be pipes or some other wall obstruction.
What To Look For In The Best Stud Finder
There are certain things to consider when searching for the best stud finder:
- Kinds Of Sensors
There are two kinds of sensors: electronic and magnetic. The magnetic ones are typically less expensive than electronic models. They utilize rare earth magnets, so you don’t need to use or look for batteries to power it. Meanwhile, electronic sensors assess the depth of your walls for thickness changes. They include additional features like finding stud edges or built-in LCD screens. They even give more scanning modes and can also distinguish AC wires.
- Sensor Size
The size of the sensor is another significant thing to consider. A bigger sensor will have many advantages. For example, it will cover a more extensive area over a shorter period, so you won’t need to move the stud finder too much. Some advanced models include more high-tech features – they can find more studs at the same time. A huge scanning area can offer multiple scanning zones that function independently.
While not always a general rule, a broader model can go deeper. If it’s larger, it can presumably contain a more powerful sensor.
The best stud finder ought to be anything but difficult to hold firmly and comfortably. You will need smooth movements, or the calibration can come up short and provide you false readings. Thus, the model needs to be ergonomic and straightforward to utilize.
Some stud finders are shrouded in non-slip surfaces for added efficiency.
The display in electronic stud finders should give a lot of information to your activity. But this is a matter of individual preferences. More often than not, you should see a representation of the stud, measurements, and maybe the battery level. Anything else is simply extra.
And The Best Stud Finder Is…
If you are a traditional handyman, a DIYer, or a housewife who loves all things simple, we can’t recommend the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder enough! The CH Hanson magnetic stud finder is one of the most compact, affordable, and efficient stud finders available on the market. If you need to install an appliance to a wall that is less than 1 ½ inches wide, then this product is for you.
Unlike electronic models, the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder does not need to be calibrated or run with batteries. At less than eight dollars, this product is a gift for DIYers and hobbyists. In addition, it also comes with a hands-free functionality for ease of marking and use. It is compact, simple to use, and will stick with you for a very long time.
However, if you need an electronic stud finder with higher features such as detecting wood and metal studs, copper or steel pipes, and electric wires, we recommend the Vivreal Stud Finder Wall Scanner.