Featured Image: eBay.com
The sawhorse is one of those workshop must-haves that is prized for its versatility. A single sawhorse can be used to make cutting wood a whole lot easier, while a pair of sawhorses can serve as an instant workbench with the help of two 2x4s and a sheet of plywood. They can also be used as a scaffold or a drying rack.
Sawhorses used to be made exclusively of wood. The design back then was pretty basic, and all you needed to build one was some pieces of wood and power tools. But these days, hobbyists and woodworkers have a wide array of sawhorses made from different materials to choose from.
There are still sawhorses that are made of wood, but these are rare nowadays. Modern sawhorses are typically made of plastic or metal, and come with all sorts of features that are helpful for professionals and hobbyists alike.
We’re here to give you some pointers on how to find the best sawhorses online and talk about the features you should consider when looking for the perfect sawhorse for your home or work. We’ve also reviewed some of the best sawhorses you can find online to give you an idea of what works and what you should avoid.
- HEAVY DUTY FOLDING SAWHORSE - PACKAGE CONTAINS ONE SAWHORSE - Constructed from 100 percent high-grade steel, this sawhorse is rugged and capable for your most demanding jobs. Alone it has an incredible 1300 lb. capacity. When paired with a second table, it has a 2600 lb. capacity per pair.
- CREATE A STURDY JOBSITE TABLE - Support arms fit 2x4s and 4x4s. When deployed transform two sawhorses into a solid and sturdy jobsite table. Adjustable height legs quickly configure to your work. Has quality material support pegs and pivoting feet that adjust to your needs. Also includes innovative cutting brackets for safe and easy cutting of different materials.
- FOLDS TO AN EASY CARRY SIZE - Strong steel legs fold into a convenient collapsible size. Platform has rounded edges for safety and security. Easy grip handle allows effortless carry to jobsite. Excellent workbench for construction, firewood cutting, drywall, and other tasks.
- U.S.A QUALITY CONTROL - Designed, engineered, tested, and inspected in the USA to ensure high quality. You can be sure that you're getting the toughest sawhorse around.
- BUILT TO LAST - Constructed from powder-coated and zinc-plated steel, you'll never have to worry about corrosion. Withstands the most rigorous environments, and its covered with our limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser against defects in material or workmanship.
- Tools for Home Improvement: Aluminum and steel track horse works as a clamping center, work support, sawhorse, and more
- Portable Track Horse: Adjustable sawhorse has 6 different heights; folds for storage and transportation
- Combine with Kreg Sawhorses: 2 track horses can hold up to 2,200 pounds; can create a large workspace
- Includes Other Woodworking Tools: Includes a Kreg 3 inch bench clamp, 4 support brackets, 2 track bushings with screws, & instruction manual
- Kreg Tools: We offer products that help woodworkers close the gap between idea and outcome
- One-Horse Race - Whether you’re a professional carpenter or weekend DIY’er, you’ll appreciate BORA sawhorse’s compact design, durable all-steel construction, and foldable legs; Our sawhorses are the ones you can bet on to get any job done efficiently
- Size Matters – Each sawhorse has a top that measures 39” x 3. 5” with a comfortable 33” work height, and a wide, stable 29” x 48” stance; Each sawhorse has a 500 lb maximum weight capacity and can support a total of 1, 000 lbs when both are used together
- No Assembly Needed - At BORA, we know you’ve got enough on your plate with construction or home improvement projects; That’s why our sawhorses come pre-assembled and ready to use; Just open the box, unfold the legs, lock them in place, and get to work
- Ride Bareback Or Not – The steel tops can be used, or you can quickly mount a 2” x 4” or 2” x 6” wood piece to using the convenient pre-drilled holes; Its rust-resistant powder coat provides a tough finish for an extended life
- Don't Put The Cart Before The Horse – You know how the saying goes, but in this case, you can put the horse in your cart and buy with confidence; This Sawhorse set is backed by a 1-year warranty to make your purchase worry-free
- [CUSTOM MADE CLAMPS] These two sawhorses come with integrated bar clamps to fasten big or small projects securely in both vertical and horizontal positions
- [LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO MOVE] At only 4 lbs. each, you can toss them into the back of a vehicle or store them in the corner in-between projects
- [SUPPORTS 1000 LBS] And the clamps provide up to 300 lbs. of pressure. Hold heavy projects securely in place for as long as you need
- [STORAGE SHELF] On the bottom of these sawhorses we’ve made a place to hold a power strip or supplies. Give your workspace an extra shelf or more storage
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
- sales for one single piece
- 2 positions 2x4 support arms create a sturdy jobsite table patent pending
- 1100 lb /500kg capacity each
- lift handle
- Material support legs
- Same tools. New name. Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT
- Leading capacity at 1200 lbs per pair
- Includes 2 sawhorses and 4 sawbucks
- Sawbucks designed to hold 2x4 flat on its side
- Built in shelf and cord hooks
- Heavy duty and high durability steel construction, can hold up to 440 lbs, tough powder coated steel finish, will be able to meet any work needs of you
- Height could be adjusted from 25 inch to 40 inch, suitable for different working status, meets all your work height demands
- Simplified light-weight construction and foldable design is perfect for convenient storage and easy transportation
- Non-slip rubber mat, create extra stability and support for all work place. Snap pin folding legs designed for easy storage, and complete stability when in use
- Foldable design is perfect for convenient storage and easy transportation
It doesn’t have legs and it can’t gallop, but the sawhorse can go a long way in the job site just like the trusty workhorses of yore.
Sawhorses have been around for centuries. Sawing a board or a plank is easier thanks to these handy tools. They can be found in many garages and job sites all over the world, and beloved by hobbyists, professional woodworkers, and builders alike.
The design of modern sawhorses is pretty simple and has not changed much for many years. It has a modified A-frame which consists of a beam, the legs, and sometimes, a leg brace or a shelf to keep it stable.
Some have supporting arms at the sides. In some sawhorses, the supporting arms can only accommodate 2x4s, while others can be adjusted to accommodate 4x4s.
The supporting arms make it easier to transform it from simple sawhorse to a work table. Just place a plank on both sides of the sawhorse, then place a sheet of plywood on top, and voila! You have an instant workbench. You can even use them as a scaffold if your sawhorses are made of heavy-duty material that can hold up a lot of weight.
Check out this video for helpful tips on how to use sawhorses safely.
How To Choose The Best Sawhorse
Sawhorses used to be made exclusively of wood. These days, however, it is rare to find wood sawhorses. They are durable and can hold up a variety of weights, but they are also heavy and it can be hard to find a space in your garage or workshop where you can store them.
Some of the sawhorses you’ll find on the market these days are made of plastic (particularly ABS plastic). They are lightweight and sturdy, making them ideal for hobbyists and professional woodworkers. They can be used for light or occasional projects, such as cutting 2x4s and sawing plywood. A pair of plastic sawhorses can also be used as a drying rack.
A lot of plastic sawhorses available on the market come with shelves at the bottom that also double as leg braces. They sometimes come with clamps and/or cord hooks at the sides. They are compact and easy to store.
If you want something more durable and longer-lasting, then sawhorses made of metal are a good choice. These sawhorses are a favorite among professionals, as well as hobbyists who have regular woodworking projects.
The beams of metal sawhorses are commonly made of steel. The legs are also often made of steel, but some manufacturers use aluminum to make them more lightweight and portable. The surface of the sawhorse is powder and/or zinc-coated to prevent corrosion.
Sawhorses can support anywhere between 250 lbs and 1,300 lbs. As a general rule, the more weight your sawhorse can support, the better. This applies whether you’re a professional woodworker or a hobbyist (you never know when you’re going to work on a heavy piece of wood). Always check the weight capacity of the sawhorse before buying one.
The majority of sawhorses on the market already have a predetermined height that ranges from 25″ to 40″. Sawhorses with preset heights are fine for most users. But if you’re taller or shorter, or if you just want to customize the sawhorse’s height to be more comfortable, then choose a sawhorse with a height adjustment mechanism.
Overall Sawhorse Size and Weight
The beauty of sawhorses is that they are available in different sizes, weights, and configurations. Many are compact and easy to store, while others are more portable than most.
If you are after ease of storage and portability, then choose a metal sawhorse with legs that can be folded into the beam. It is easy to store just about anywhere in your workshop, and it is easily portable because the legs are kept inside the beam.
This configuration allows you to carry it from its storage area to your work area hassle-free. You can even put it in the bed of your pickup truck or the trunk of your car and still have space for your power tools and more.
A stable pair of legs makes a big difference when it comes to working on a sawhorse. When choosing the best sawhorse, always check if the legs’ stance is good and if they are stable. You don’t want to cut a 2×4 on something that wobbles or something that is easily toppled by a gust of wind.
Supporting Arms, Shelves, and Other Features
Modern sawhorses have a lot of new features that can make your job easier. Many sawhorses have supporting arms that can easily accommodate a piece of 2×4, while some have adjustable arms that can be expanded to accommodate a 4×4.
Other features you might want to look at including a bottom shelf where you can put your tools while working, clamps to keep your workpiece in position, and hooks to get your cords out of the way.
Are you planning to have your home remodeled? Then check out our website for home remodeling insights, pricing guides, and other helpful information.
We’ve come to the end of the review. But before we send you on your way to shop, let’s find out which sawhorse made the cut.
And the best sawhorse is… the Toughbuilt C700 Sawhorse.
Right out of the box, the Toughbuilt C700 Sawhorse just impresses. It is heavy, but that’s exactly what I want in a sawhorse and not something so flimsy that it will fall over when you lightly bump into it. The beam is well-built, and every inch of it speaks of good craftsmanship.
I like the adjustable supporting that can easily support a 2×4 and a 4×4. The mechanism, which is located at the sides of the beam, is a breeze to adjust. Plus, it has another set of supporting arms at one side of the beam to make cutting a piece of wood hassle-free.
The height of this sawhorse can be adjusted using the mechanism located on the legs. The sawhorse allows for height adjustment up to six positions, so you can choose which one’s comfortable for you.
The legs are also solid and do not wobble even when you put something heavy on the sawhorse. Each leg comes with a leg brace that reinforces its stability.
Storage is not an issue. All you need to do is fold the legs into the beam and store it in a safe space in your garage or workshop.
Other Great Articles to Read:
To view our Amazon Associates Disclaimer, please click here.