Featured Image: Architecturelab
Moisture meters can evaluate the moisture content of numerous various material types, including paneling, drywall, and wood studs. Other woodworkers and furniture makers use the meters often to make sure they are dealing with an excellent product, and flooring contractors utilize the meters to determine the best moisture conditions when adding a laminate or wood flooring over a subfloor or concrete slab.
For building and home inspectors, a moisture meter is an essential tool in their toolbox for checking the condition of a house. Likewise, you can use a moisture meter to ensure your house is moisture-free, or guarantee the material’s quality during DIY projects. The best moisture meter can assist you in determining whether you’ve got excessive moisture or require a humidifier. The products above represent several of the very best moisture meters within their respective categories for DIYers based upon accuracy, simplicity of use, and general efficacy, together with a pro pick for anybody wanting professional-level features.
- HUMIDITY SENSOR: Our combo meter tool can quickly determine what level of remediation is needed to keep your family safe from black mold. High levels of dampness that go untreated are the leading cause of harmful fungus growth in the home.
- WATER LEAK DETECTOR: Finding the moisture content in your floors, plastered walls, and wood is the first step in early prevention. Continuously check and test suspicious water stains around the house so you can determine if the area is wet or dry.
- MOISTURE READER: The mold test features 2 dedicated displays, moisture percentage, ambient temperature, and relative humidity. Our mildew scanner includes audible and visual indications of high, medium, and low moisture levels with a °F/°C switch.
- MOLD TESTER: This tool features both pin-type and pinless (flat pad) surface sensors for an accurate test read on larger areas. Once moisture patches are detected, flip open the cap to expose the pin sensors for more exact content readings.
- GENERAL TOOLS: We're a recognized leader in designing and developing specialized precision tools dedicated to delivering exceptional customer service. We encourage artisans and DIYers to work smarter, measure better, and repair more productively.
- wood moisture range: 6-45%
- 2 wood groups for softwood and hardwood
- measuring depth of 3/16" and 7/16"
- accurate, reliable, versatile and affordable
- convenient to use. Fast, one-hand operation
- Orion 910 deep depth pinless moisture meters featuring accuracy, versatility, and quality
- Built with a non-damaging pinless sensor, IntelliSense technology, and backed with a 7-year warranty
- Virtually unaffected by temperature of the wood or the environment
- Every Orion meter comes with an on-demand calibrator to easily calibrate your meter
- Easily set the wood species you need to measure. Includes a Relative (comparative) measurement mode for non-solid wood measurement applications on treated wood, drywall and other materials
- Professional Grade – Large easy-to-read color LCD screen with new LCD flashlight function for readings in dark spaces! Sturdy, ergonomically designed device makes it easy to insert pins into materials. Also includes MAX, MIN, SCAN, & Hold functions.
- 4 Material Type Modes – Quickly find Moisture & Temperature readings in over 100 Materials; including Hardwoods (M1), Softwoods/ Carpet (M2), Drywall (M3), & Concrete (M4).
- High/ Low Moisture Reading Bar: Easily read what is a high or low reading for the material you are testing. Perfect for Mold Protection: Easily find hidden leaks in walls or detect areas with high moisture where mold is likely to develop
- Check Lumber and Hardwood for Building and Woodworking – Make sure you are using good, dry wood for all your projects to avoid cracks, splits, warping. SEASONED FIREWOOD– Insert the steal sensor pins into wood and see if Moisture Content is Low (5-11%), Medium (12-15%) or High (16-50%).
- Loaded with Features – Durable Nylon Case, Set of Replacement Probes, & Batteries Included (a $15 Value). Featuring SAM-PRO's Lifetime Replacement Warrantee
- Measure Moisture Level in wood, wall board, sheet rock, cardboard, concrete, plaster, and mortar
- Moisture Icons provide a visual reference for low, medium, and high levels of moisture
- Audible Alert Tone beeps faster as moisture level increases
- Pinless Measurement Mode reads moisture up to 1 inches below the surface
- Data Hold Function freezes readings on display
- FIND HIDDEN LEAKS IN WALLS AND SURFACES – Prevent damage to your home with this digital detector that can measure moisture in wood, concrete and more
- ENSURE FIREWOOD IS READY TO BURN – Stick super-sharp pins into wood and see if Moisture Content is Low (5-11%), Medium (12-15%) or High (16-50%)
- CHECK LUMBER AND HARDWOOD FOR BUILDING AND WOODWORKING – Make sure you are using good, dry wood for all your projects to avoid cracks, splits, warping
- EASY TO USE – Large easy-to-read backlit screen. Sturdy, hand-friendly body feels solid when pressing pins into materials. Hold key freezes readings
- LOADED WITH FEATURES – Moisture levels indicated by icons and audio alerts, automatic shut-off, built-in calibration test pins, 9V battery included
- Two modes of operation - search (pin-less) and measure (pin-type)
- Rugged construction with large backlit display
- Pin moisture measurement
- Non-invasive measurement up to ¾” (20mm) below the surface
- Wide range of accessory plugins with industry leading 2-year warranty
Best Moisture Meter: Different Types
DIYers and experts in industries like fine carpentry, home inspection, and floors use three common types of moisture meter: multifunctional, pinless, and pin.
Pin moisture meters obtain their name from the two metal prongs, or pins, which come out from the top of the meter as antennae. These pins are what calculates the moisture percentage. Making use of a pin moisture meter calls for aligning the pins having a spot on the material, after which pushing them so that they penetrate the material.
After the pins are inserted, you can run the moisture meter and have a control pad to send an electric signal down just one pin. This signal journeys through the material on its way to the opposite pin. The moisture meter uses this signal to determine the material’s resistance to electrical current, which will help decide its moisture content.
This particular technique of measurement is invasive since it demands puncturing the material to attain an outcome. Nevertheless, pin moisture meters tend to be the only sort that may help determine moisture’s actual location.
Named for their lack of measurement pins, pinless moisture meters don’t penetrate the material to get a reading. Rather, a plate on the back of the meter lays lifeless against the material and a high-frequency signal journeys through it. The signal shifts depending on the material’s potential to store an electric charge, helping the moisture meter to identify the amounts of moisture in the material.
The primary advantage of pinless moisture meters gets obvious when testing drywall. Being forced to get holes into drywall to discover moisture could easily make it into Swiss cheese. Meanwhile, a pinless moisture meter can check for moisture several times without harming the drywall.
Although pinless moisture meters are much less invasive compared to pin meters, their readings indicate moisture in a broad location instead of a certain area. A great choice for regular moisture detection is a multifunctional moisture meter. Multifunctional moisture meters utilize both ways of measurement for noninvasive, generalized moisture detection at first and exact moisture detection if a problem is found.
Things To Consider When Buying The Best Moisture Meter
Before buying a moisture meter, it is advisable to inform yourself about these crucial considerations to make sure you commit to the right product for your needs.
Professionals and DIYers searching for a moisture meter have accuracy as among the most crucial factors in determining which one to purchase. A product lacking in accuracy is basically worthless for measuring moisture. Nevertheless, only a few devices advertise a similar accuracy rate.
High-quality moisture meters must be precise to within 0.1 %, but these high-end versions can cost a lot. For a less expensive choice, some moisture meters are correct to within 5%. This also presents a fair accuracy rating for the typical DIYer, but if a task or professional needs a far more exact measurement, it’s ideal to get the high-end versions. It is not best to buy a moisture meter with much more than a 5% variance in its reliability.
A product’s longevity is crucial to anyone utlizing their moisture meter frequently on job websites. Actually, a newer type with the greatest characteristics should survive having its pins pushed into a wall or becoming bumped into a tool case.
Ease Of Use
Select a moisture meter that is pretty easy to use. Complicated moisture meters take a lot longer than a simple design, leading to inconsistent and inaccurate readings that may end up in undiscovered moisture damage.
Range of Measurement
The range of measurement a moisture meter gives is identified through the minimum and maximum moisture percentages it can read through. The broader the range of measurements, the less accurately the unit will measure, with some moisture meters offering as broad a range as 0.2-60%.
Moisture meters, like the majority of electronic devices, can easily pack lots of extra options to make the job easier. One of these characteristics is a temperature display that can track a cold or hot water leak. Following changes within the temperature can help find the source.
Other highlights include memory functions that could keep track of previous readings rather than being forced to write them down and recall them, audible alerts with the moisture level reading, along with a carrying case to shield the moisture meter.
Searching For The Best Moisture Meter
Detecting the moisture content of raw materials is among the first steps to building something as it can lead to substantial damages to structures.
And, if the moisture levels aren’t examined before installing the foundation, the framework can topple over at any time, perhaps resulting in casualties. This is what truly makes a moisture meter absolute important in an architect’s kit.
Not merely does it give you an accurate way of measuring the moisture content in various things, but it also tells you if particular dried material is prepared to be used or not.
Nevertheless, finding a quality moisture meter might be challenging. This is essentially a result of the fact that only some brands excel at obtaining the accuracy properly for their moisture meters. Thus, to help you fix that issue, we’ve prepared this extensive review on several of the best moisture meters you can purchase today!
And all you’ve got to accomplish is give them a complete read to know everything about them!
The Protimeter Surveymaster is created to offer you the best measure within a maximum of 30-40 seconds. You can use it to calculate the moisture content in wood and other construction materials within an extensive range, whether it is below and on the surface top. Furthermore, it also allows you to discover the moisture and mold-related issues in the building.
This is among the most effective moisture meters that we’ve used thus far, and it comes in quite handy for a variety of different construction activities. Although we had to invest a significant sum of cash to get this product, this is a handy tool for the construction business.
Other Great Articles to Read:
To view our Amazon Associates Disclaimer, please click here.