Featured Image: Pixabay
Whether you’re camping, fishing, hunting, or working in the dark, a spotlight is something you can’t do without. Having a camping lantern is great, but it can only illuminate so much. You can use a good flashlight for checking an electrical panel, pipe, or basement, but it always comes up short when you need to illuminate nooks, crannies, or long distances.
It can be quite hard to find the best LED spotlight that is perfect for you because of the wide array of choices available. And you might have many questions about the spotlights’ lumen output and their beam distance. You’re wondering which brand offers the best spotlight for long distances, and which brand produces the best outdoor spotlights.
Well, look no further because we’ve reviewed the best handheld LED spotlights for you. You can check out our handheld spotlight buying guide too to help you shop for the right one hassle-free. Let’s begin!
- IP67 WATERPROOF AND FLOATABILITY. Made of IP67 Waterproof technology, the spotlight can withstand various of weathers. It can float on the water when falls into the river or lake accidently
- 3 LIGHTING MODES. This GOODSMANN waterproof handheld spotlight provides three lighting modes: High mode, Low mode and SOS mode. (flashing alert) or OFF for various kinds of situation
- RECHARGEABLE. A rechargeable 2000mAh battery is inside the spotlight. It’s irreplaceable, charged by USB port. And an AC 100V-240V USB home adapter, 100cm USB cord will come with this spotlight
- IMPACT RESISTANCE. Made of ABS and polystyrene with impact resistance to protect the spotlight from drops and bumps while in use
- MULTIPLE USE. GOODSMANN Submersible Spotlight has comfortable handle as well as the hand strip, making it pretty handy when you go camping, fishing, hunting, boating, cave exploring, searching and home use
- [BRIGHT WORK LIGHT]: This Energizer Hard Case Professional LED Spotlight boasts extremely durable construction, a far-reaching beam and excellent run time for a battery powered spotlight that professionals can rely on. Includes 6 Energizer MAX AA batteries
- [EXTREMELY DURABLE]: This work spotlight is designed to last for 20 years (based on typical consumer usage), so you know it's built for the most demanding jobs. Rugged construction maximizes shock absorption to keep shining after a fall
- [INDOORS AND OUT]: This powerful design provides serious lighting on job sites and in the field, as well as DIY projects, camping and emergencies
- [INTENSELY FOCUSED]: This 600 lumens flashlight casts a beam that reaches 425 meters to see objects far away. High and Low modes let you control brightness and run time. A 6.25-hour run time on High—and 22 hours on Low—ensures lasting light
- [IMPACT AND WATER RESISTANT]: This tough light withstands impact up to 7 meters. The IPX4 water resistant light withstands splashes for versatile indoor/outdoor applications
- 3 bright LEDs of the portable work light illuminate dark jobsite work areas
- 2 brightness settings pf the rechargeable work light provide flexibility for maximum light output or extended run-time
- 90-degree pivoting head provides versatility for lighting work surfaces
- Distance - Can be seen up to 508 yards or 1,525 feet
- Pivoting head allows for hands-free operation and light to be projected in multiple directions while standing on its base
- Delivers up to 2,200 lumens with a 10W ultra-bright LED
- Lithium Ion battery stays charged for up to 12 months; Provides a runtime of up to 7 hours on low setting
- Collapsible pivoting stand and convenient trigger lock provide hands-free operation
- AC and DC charging adaptors are included, allowing you to recharge the spotlight at home or inside a vehicle
- Ideal for emergencies, power outages, outdoor activities, and long camping trips
- Delivers up to 500 lumens with 5W ultra-bright LED
- Submersible up to 6 feet and floats face up when dropped in water; Easier to spot if it goes overboard
- Rugged pistol-grip handle offers a convenient and comfortable grip; Allows easy handling while 50% smaller than the average spotlight
- Alkaline battery has runtime of up to 10 hours on lower settings
- Includes innovative waterproof H20 case; Easy to carry and store when not in use
- BRIGNTNESS - The super-bright CREE LED provide the brightness of 1000 lumens at least. The light is dimmable by operating the stepless adjusting button on the back. The long illumination range up to more than 400 meters enables you to use it as a long distance flashlight outdoors. The color temperature is 6500K.
- RECHARGEABLE - Powered by 3.7v lithium-ion rechargeable batteries with a storage power of 2000MAH, which is long-lasting. There is LED indicator light on the back: it is red while charging and turns green when full-charged.
- HANDY & HAND-FREE DESIGN - Comfortable handle makes it pretty handy. The strap catch at the end of the handle enables easy carrying with strap. The adjustable bracket also provides hands-free use while you are working.
- CHARGER & CIGARETTE LIGHTER - Comes with an USB charger (Input: 100-240V, 60HZ; Output: DC 9V, 1000MA) and a cigarette lighter charger (9V).
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Made from tough, impact resistant ABS and polystyrene to protect the system from drops and bumps while in use. Going through 1M drop test and temperature environmental test, the spotlight can well resist the 1M-impact and temperature from -40° to 60°.
- SHOCKINGLY BRIGHT/ 700 REAL LUMENS: The craftsman flashlight emits a maximum output up to 700 lumens and throws a beam of 300 meters/985Ft, long lasting run-time up to 3 hours by 6AA/3AA Alkaline batteries
- IMPACT & WEATHER RESISTANT: IPX4 level allows water splashing from any direction without damage. 3ft/1M Drop test. From walking to fighting with terrible disasters, this torch will be there to assist you in both the simplest and wildest situations
- DIMMABLE AND 3 MODES: High/Low/Strobe 3 modes meet your different using conditions and needs. Long press the dimming switch to automatic dimming gear which will change the brightness depending on the angle of flashlight
- COMFORTABLE & DURABLE: Comes with an ergonomic and integrated handle for easy carrying and convenient use. Aircraft-grade aluminum body makes it durable enough for long time use. Auto adjusting brightness to save battery life
- PERFECT FOR ALL SITUATIONS: Suitable for emergency, hurricane, power outage, camping, hiking, fishing, any home and outdoor use
Handheld LED Spotlight Buyer’s Guide
Let’s take a look at the aspects you need to consider when buying the right spotlight for home, jobsite, or outdoor use.
A spotlight’s output is measured in lumens. The higher the lumens, the brighter the beam. But the spotlight’s lumens is just the tip of the iceberg. There are also other aspects you need to consider, including the beam distance and the beam intensity.
There’s nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive spotlight if you’re going to use it occasionally. But if you need it for work, then you might as well invest in a durable LED spotlight.
Most spotlight bodies are made of plastic, specifically ABS plastic. This type of plastic is rigid, sturdy, and has a fantastic abrasion resistance. A spotlight with a thick and sturdy ABS plastic body won’t break easily when accidentally dropped. Some are even designed to be water-resistant, or even waterproof.
Some handheld spotlights, on the other hand, are made of aluminum alloy. This material is generally sturdy, but make sure to get the thicker ones for better impact-resistance. Make sure that the bezel is made of heavy-duty stainless steel or plastic to ensure that the lens will not crack when you accidentally drop the spotlight.
Type of Battery
In the past, handheld spotlights were powered by conventional AA or AAA NiCad or alkaline batteries. These batteries are available almost everywhere — from your favorite hardware store to that convenience store down the corner. Some conventional batteries are rechargeable and affordable.
But you need two or more conventional batteries to power a single spotlight. Although these batteries are cheaper than lithium-ion ones, the cost of buying non-rechargeable batteries can add up in the long run. And although they are ubiquitous for the most part, there’s always the risk of your favorite store running out of stock. That can be a problem if you live in a remote area.
Then there are newer handheld spotlights that are powered by lithium-ion batteries. LED spotlights powered by lithium-ion batteries are generally more expensive than those powered by conventional batteries, but they are cheaper in the long run as you don’t need to run to the store and purchase a pack every time you run out of juice. They can be recharged many times, are low maintenance, and more stable than conventional batteries. Their self-discharge rate is also significantly lower than that of conventional batteries.
But, of course, lithium-ion batteries have their limitations. They are generally more expensive, and they tend to overheat. They are also prone to aging, and can lose capacity over time.
If you work outdoors, or you work as a plumber, restoration expert, or volunteer in search and rescue operations, then one of the first aspects you have to consider when choosing a handheld spotlight is its water-resistance. Check its IP or ingress protection rating before buying the product.
The Goodsman Rechargeable Spotlight, for example, is rated IP67. This means that the unit is protected from total dust ingress and water spray from any direction. The Energizer HC-600 LED Spotlight and Craftsman CMXLFAG65280 LED Handheld Spotlight, on the other hand, are rated IPX4.
Strobe and SOS Modes
Spotlights typically have two modes: on and off. Others have three: high, low, and off. Some, on the other hand, have other functions, such as strobe and SOS modes. If you work in law enforcement, military, or emergency services, then a spotlight with a strobe function is essential. Some spotlights also have an SOS mode so you can use them during emergencies.
Weight and Size
LED spotlights can be pretty bulky and heavy, especially if they’re powered by lithium-ion batteries. Heavier units are often more durable than lighter spotlights, but they can be difficult to carry especially if you’re also lugging other tools.
The Goodsmann Rechargeable Spotlight is our choice for the best handheld LED spotlight. It can be hard to find the best handheld spotlight especially if it’s up against other fantastic products, but this particular spotlight has features that truly make it stand out. Let’s take a look.
This LED spotlight is one of the few that has received an IP67 rating. This means that it is waterproof, so you can use it for scuba diving at night, fishing, or during emergencies. It is perfect for plumbers, contractors, electricians, and more. The housing, which is made of heavy-duty ABS plastic and polystyrene, is built to last. The housing, including the bezel, is so thick and heavy that it’s not going to crack even when you drop it accidentally.
It has three lighting modes: high, low, and SOS. Choose the ‘high’ lighting mode in pitch dark settings, or when you want to see as far out as possible. Use the ‘low’ mode for dimly lit areas or during blackouts. The flashing SOS mode, on the other hand, is perfect for boating, camping, and other outdoor activities.
You’ll be surprised at the intensity of its beam, as well as its beam distance. It produces an ultra-bright 3000-lumen light on a full charge and can project a beam as far as your eyes can see.
It has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and comes with an AC charger and DC adapter. The battery is fully charged at 5 hours or less. It can last 7 1/2 hours on SOS mode, and up to 3 hours on ‘high’ mode.
Is it pricey? Of course. A product like this always has a hefty price tag. If you’re looking for the brightest LED spotlight and the best spotlight for long-distance but don’t mind the cost, then this might be the right product for you.
Other Great Articles to Read:
To view our Amazon Associates Disclaimer, please click here.