Featured Image: Techy Beasts
The dowel jig is a doweling template with guiding holes that clamp to your board and enables you to drill precisely in just a few seconds.
It is packaged with various bushing sizes for versatility, and most models are self-centering, offering you greater ease of usage. Thus, any beginner can utilize the dowel jig as this specific device is really user-friendly. Furthermore, it has a minimal learning curve for individuals that haven’t employed this particular device before.
If you’re searching for an excellent version, our best dowel jig review below lists some cost-effective models that will change the way you make dowels. Let us find out how well they perform!
- The Miles craft Joint Mate allows for quick and accurately doweled corner, edge or surface joints
- Metal bushings included to ensure accurate alignment When drilling for perfectly positioned dowels every time
- Steel dowel/Tenon centers for durable and accurate location marking of dowel holes or in second board being joined
- Fluted hardwood dowel pins with chamfered ends Add strength and endurance to your joined surfaces (Includes 3 different sizes)
- Brad point drill bits included in 3 different sizes (1/4", 5/16", 3/8")
- Self Centering
- Easy to use
- Solid steel center block, precision hardened
- Fast & Precise
- No loose parts to get lost
- Allows for fast, easy and ultra-precise dowel joint assembly
- Drill guide ensures impeccably placed and centered drill holes 1/2 “dowel holes in 1” thick stock; with minor adjustments, it can be used with thicker stock
- Drill guide is constructed of rugged, hardened steel; features two guide holes located 1" on center; clear-view guide plate is constructed of 3/16” clear hardened acrylic
- Premium M35 drill bit is precision machined of high-speed steel; designed with a 135-degree split point for precise, clean drilling action
- Durable and long lasting through many a successful projects; Handy storing with pre-cut hanging hole. Set includes one drill guide, 1/2" drill bit, stop collar and tightening wrench
- Doweling Jig Kit that features a compact design coupled with durable construction
- Cast aluminum doweling jig ideal for creating edge-to-edge, edge-to-corner and T-joints
- Hardened steel bushings in 1/4-inch, 5/16-inch, and 3/8-inch sizes make precision drilling quick and easy
- Works with materials from 1/2-to-1-1/4-inches thick
- Product Type :Tools
- Package Dimensions :4.0" L X5.25" W X3.0" H
- Country Of Origin :China
- Package Weight :2.52Lbs
- Quick dowel jig that self-centers on boards to make quick, accurate dowel joints,making corner joints,edge joints and T-butt joints
- Metal bushings ensure accurate alignment when drilling for perfectly positioned dowels,Minimal set-up with no exposed or covered mechanical
- The self-centering jig and adjustable fence allow for precise dowel alignment for maximum joint strength
- This Dowel jig has a longer fence which makes it easier to clamp into place. It also has a ruler on the side of the jig to allow for quicker adjustment of the fence.Fence allows for front-to-back depth adjustments,Fence is slotted to align the dowel pins
- Real Imperial drill bushing,Use for 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" diameter dowel pins,Works with 1/2" to 1-1/2" thick lumber.it can be adjustable.
- Quick doweling jig that self-centers on boards to make quick, accurate dowel joints
- Capable of edge-to-edge, T, and edge-to-corner joints
- Made of high impact plastic
- Can be used on boards up to 1-1/4-inch thick
- Jig comes with 1/4-inch, 5/16-inch, and 3/8-inch diameter pins
Choosing The Best Dowel Jig
As always, you will find an assortment of elements associated with having a truly excellent and best dowel jig. Do not take the inexpensive route—you are certain to regret it ultimately.
- Simple models vary from $25-$40. These are the simple jigs that have holes for several drills with no bushings. If more dowels are being utilized in a joint, the jig should be moved. This may lead to alignment troubles; therefore, it’s recommended to select this particular kind of template just in case you’ve got a minimal budget.
- Jigs with bushings of different sizes vary in size from $40-$60. These bushings are bolted to threaded holes that enable you to drill holes of similar size without moving the jig. This particular design has two holes for all the bushings and two holes for the drill bit, which doesn’t take bushings.
- The jigs with the most bushing holes range from $50-$70. These jigs have four threaded holes that provide more choices for spacing between each hole, all of which could be drilled without rotating the template. Each additional bushing is an extra expense.
- Jigs that hold greater capacity provide more overall performance, just like the Rockler dowel jig. These are probably the most costly and are between $60-$90. These models may be attached to a cylinder head of up to two 3/8 inches thick, which is generally sufficient, though the huge capacity templates handle parts of six inches or more.
Buying Guide For The Best Dowel Jig
Before buying the best dowel jig, there are several essential features to think about because there’s a thin line between a useless dowel jig & a useful one.
First of all, the most crucial part is choosing the best dowel jig based on your need and purpose. For instance, many models have more than one bushing size, and in case you do not work with dowels that exceed a particular size, you don’t have to spend extra and get a larger type with several bushings.
You will find numerous things which make a dowel jig a precise tool. The very first one will be the clamp system. This ensures the best dowel jig is in place so that it doesn’t move when drilling.
Moreover, ascertain that your preferred item has a self-centering device that will automatically and easily align the dowel jig for you.
Accuracy is dictated by the built of the dowel jig. The metal sides of this particular device and the center block are machine polished, so they’re completely flat and give you the best precision achievable when dealing with every kind of edge, even those which aren’t entirely flat.
Dowel jigs are available in various sizes and shapes, all making them more versatile. It’s surely a great option to obtain a unit that may do lots of doweling tasks like T joints, edge to edge, or edge to corner.
This versatility comes in handy sooner or later, particularly when dealing with furniture that often requires joinery of various sizes.
Ease of use
The best dowel jig is a straightforward tool. It does seem intimidating though it is extremely user-friendly once you begin to use it. So, you don’t plan an overly complicated dowel jig that attempts to perform way too many things but ultimately accomplish little.
See whether your selected unit comes with an easy-to-use clamp system, metal-reinforced bushings because of the drill bit & a self-centering system. Almost all those elements will make the dowel jig simple and very easy to work with.
The bushing size dictates the dimensions of the gap you’ll drill. To put it simply, the greater the dimensions, the larger the dowel.
Typical bushing sizes in a dowel jig are 3/16 in, 3/8 in, 5/16 in, 1/4 in, 7/16 in, and 1/2 in. If you work with a single bushing size only, as is typical in making home furniture, you don’t need extra sizes.
The primary benefit is the fact that a dowel jig with just one bushing size is easier to work with and smaller. Obviously, your decision for a dowel jig right here is going to depend on your need.
The bushing is precisely where the drill bit goes into the dowel jig and drills a hole. Thus, it must be reinforced whether you don’t desire to harm the bushing.
Make sure that the bushing is reinforced with a durable metal material. Steel is typically the preferred bushing material that doesn’t damage quickly and is durable.
The Milescraft 1309 Dowel Jig Kit is, just like the name suggests, a dowel jig kit. Since this particular item is a dowel jig kit, you receive more than simply a dowel jig: metal bushings, dowel bits, and dowel pins.
Each component that is provided in this particular kit is very durable. Regardless of how frequently you use the dowel jig or the parts that function together with the dowel jig, you will be ready to keep on doing this for many years. To go with that, there is simply no demand for you to be concerned about accidentally bending or busting the dowel jig, thanks to its durability and strength.
When you buy this dowel jig kit, you’ll also get a chance to access videos that Milescraft has produced. Many of these videos provide the info you need to utilize this dowel jig effectively and easily for virtually any woodworking project. Even if you are not very good at woodworking, you have nothing to stress about.
Although this dowel jig and most of its various elements are excellent, there’s just one minor issue. Occasionally, this dowel jig won’t remain still. You could be pressing it straight against the board, with amazing strength, and the torque of your drill will nevertheless result in the dowel jig to wobble.
When you can get past that flaw and are not very concerned about working with a wobbly dowel jig, the Milescraft Dowel Jig Kit is an excellent dowel jig to buy.