The sheer brute strength of a circular or table saw can cut even the toughest piece of hardwood in your workshop. But sometimes brute strength is not enough, and there are some things that these power saws just can’t do. If you want to add some grooves, intricate edges, and other designs to a workpiece, then you definitely need a tool called a router.
Any woodworker worth his salt owns one or more wood routers. Their main role in the workshop is to trim and smooth the rough edges of a piece of wood, but they are also amazingly versatile.
Routers can be used to create decorative and fancy moldings. These tools can be used to produce rabbets and dadoes, as well as carve simple and intricate patterns on a piece of wood.
All these are made possible by an assortment of bits attached to the routers collet. Some of the commonly used routers bits are straight, rabbeting, and flush trim bits.
If you want to produce a simple bevel cut, then use a chamfer router bit. Cove, edge beading, ogee, and roundover bits are used to make beautiful and elegant decorative edges.
Intricate edges are produced by molding, rail and stile, and raised panel router bits. Some bits are used specifically for joinery, including finger join, lock miter, and dovetail router bits. Check out this page to see the grooves and edges produced by different types of router bits.
- Durable 1.25 horsepower motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications. No Load Speed range 16,000-27,000rpm
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
- Dual LED's and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation
- Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64-inch (fixed base only)
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 to 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack and pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
- Soft-starting, 12 Amp motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the toughest applications
- variable-speed control feature (10,000 - 23,000 rpm) enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications
- Accessory base for router models 891 and 892
- Replacement base for combination kit models 893PK, 894PK and 895PK
- 11 Amp, 2-peak horsepower motor provides the power needed for dense material
- Electronic variable speed with feedback helps maintain speed under load
- Micro-depth adjustment for precise depth control
- Soft start for gradual start-up and extended life of motor
- Bulk Packaged
- 12 Amp router motor - Combines ample power with adjustable speed settings, allowing users to glide along cutlines
- Adjustable speed dial (8000-25,000 RPM). 2 inch sub-base opening
- Fixed base has threaded holes for mounting to router table positioned in common 3-hole pattern
- Now includes RA1161 fixed-base with system for adjusting bit height from above a router table
- Compatible with optional RA1129 template guide adapter set – For easy change of Bosch quick-release template guides and common threaded template guides; Includes RA1126 template guide adapter and RA1100 interface for threaded template guides
- Same tools. New name. Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT
- 11 Amp motor (2-1/4 Peak Horsepower), for precise, controlled cuts
- 2-stage motor release clamp, for quick and accurate depth adjustments and base changes
- Electronic speed control, maintains constant RPMs even as load varies
- Class leading noise level, only 79. 5dB for a quieter workshop
- Ergonomic handle with full-grip is designed for increased control and reduced fatigue with power switch and speed control at the fingertips.
- The OF 1010 EQ Router provides a smooth 2-1/8" plunge action which enables you to maintain complete control with a quick and secure plunge lock.
- MMC electronic controls provide constant speed under load for improved cut quality, step-less variable speed, and overload and thermal protection.
- Micro-adjustable depth control to 1/256" (1/10 mm) which allows you to dial in your routing with tremendous precision.
- Integrated dust extraction port extracts dust from the point of generation, increasing visibility and saving valuable clean-up time.